Saturday, November 01, 2008

Meeting with Ashwin Madia

I have been following US presidential elections keenly for last 12 months. The D Day (Nov 4) is just 3 
days away; Radio and TV are full of all sorts of Ads.

It was surprising to know that elections in US for all the public offices happen on a same day unlike in 
India, where elections happen almost every day for numerous public offices from Gram Panchayat to Central 
Parliament. This practice of regular elections is time consuming and resource intensive. It keeps politicians and  
bureaucrats busy all the time in contesting and conducting elections. Development takes a back seat 
and vote bank politics keeps all the executive and legislative constituents occupied with elections.

Former President APJ Abdul Kalam made a great suggestion for amending the Constitution and making 
all the elections happen on same day. This would be huge boost for progressive and stable 
governments. I am not sure why Indian media and intellectuals don't push for this idea.

What makes me write today was a surprise meeting with Ashwin Madia. He is a Democratic candidate 
running for 3rd district in US Congress. He is another story of successes that American Indians had in 
US. Indians went gaga after Bobby Jindal won elections for Governor of Katrina State of Louisiana.

It looks like it is Ashwin Madia's turn this time. With anti Bush sentiments giving strong lead to Obama, 
Ashwin Madia is not far behind. Ashwin is young, highly educated and aa experienced Marines officer. However, His 
opponent, Erik Paulsen is strong and experienced leader, which makes this fight tough for Madia.

Last week, my colleagues and I went to Culvers for lunch. While we were busy with lunch and usual office talks,
a man comes from behind and stood infront of our table.He said, "I am Ashwin Madia". I am 
following him since he started his first Ad but never expected that I would meet him in person. 
See his Ad:



As a natural Indian response, I stood up and greeted him while my colleagues were still sitting. I was 
surprised and answered, Ya I have seen you on TV. My colleagues could not even recognize him. He 
asked, Do you have any questions?, and I said, No, which ended our conversation. We shook hands 
and he moved to other tables to meet other hungry voters.

I can never imagine that a politician comes and you don't stand to greet him in India. It was a 
complete culture shock for me to see the response from my colleagues and lack of any such 
expectation from Madia. Politicians don’t have a special status in US unlike in India where our 
jansevaks and netas (public servants and politicians) consider themselves above the people.

This election is all about change; Can we ever have a change in India?


3 comments:

Sajiv said...

We cant have elections at one go in India coz the biggest problem of providing security to all the places would be herculean, its a shame that we have to do it.

The biggest employment provider in India is still the govt and thats why all the illiterate,semi-literate politicians demand such stature coz they can make or break things for your caste/community/religion etc

Change happens in India but its slow :-D


sajiv.blogsome.com

Sachin Wagh said...

I'm kinda sad to say that we might never be able to see the change in India at the pace we want to.

Anonymous said...

Get on with it dude. I guess you are in Bangalore for quite sometime.

Ask the full name of Gandhi or worse where he was born in Gujurat - to your mates at Infosys. I can bet that over 90% can not say it. It is a bet (I have tried it once!). If you win, I will not comment further. But if you loose...

Now ask the history of Kamal Hassan or Rajkumar and their films. They will list our reels. And many of history sheeters with

When we do not know our father of the nation, why you expect them to know Ashwin???