Monday, April 23, 2007

Stolen Antiques from Mandsaur

Last week I came across the article (click the link to read the article) Antiques Scrutiny in US
on Antiques Scrutiny in US.

On April 17, 2006, a stolen Vishnu statue worth about $30,000 was turned over by ICE(Immigration and Customs Enforcement) to the Indian government. The 250-pound sandstone statue was taken from a temple in the city of Mandsaur(My home city) in the Madhya Pradesh state of India sometime in 2000,

I hail from the same city, from where this Vishnu statue was reportedly stolen. But sadly Neither do I nor many of residents of my city remember about this precious loss.

Similar to above story there are thousands of reports with regard to loss of statues and historical artifacts from our centuries old temples and monuments.

Our negligence, lack of care ,corrupt Government bodies and hot antique markets in US and Europe are primary reasons for it.

It was really painful for me to read the above story.Will we ever be able to preserve our rich ancient heritage????????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No.
We would never be able to.
Actually reading your post made me write about somethings similar I saw during trekking trips.Have updated on my blog.